Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

I had intended to post my Valentine tablescape tonight but upon returning from church this evening where we had the imposition of ashes marking the first day of Lent, I decided to postpone it. Instead, I am reposting this Lenten Tablescape I did last year. 
_______________________
 
 
Ash Wednesday falls on Feb. 13th this year which marks the beginning of Lent.  I've always wanted to create a tablescape with this theme in mind but wasn't sure how to go about it.  Lent is not a season that one usually "decorates" for and in fact, often, decorations are removed from churches/homes.

I couldn't find very many suggestions on the Internet but while searching through some items around my home, I came up with the idea to use everyday pieces to symbolize the events that we remember during Lent. 
Let me take you on a "tour" of the table and explain what each item symbolizes.

Below are faux leaves/grasses which represent the palm branches which were waved to welcome Jesus into Jerusalem. 


Below, the rooster symbolizes the following 
bible verse 
"Before the Rooster crows, you will have denied me three times" (Peter denies knowledge of Jesus) Matthew 26:34



This Bible is open to the same chapter (Matthew 26) which depicts Peter's denial of Jesus.



These gold coins by the cross represent the "30 pieces of silver" Judas received for betraying Jesus.


This weathered cross reminds us of Christ's crucifixion.  The wheat and grapes symbolize the bread and wine of communion which Jesus instituted during The Last Supper.


This Lenten place setting includes a red napkin to remind us of  the blood Jesus shed for us on the cross. The clear glass plate has a grape pattern etched on it again, reminding us of the institution of wine = blood in communion.



 
Beside each place setting, I've placed a purple (the colour of Lent) compote filled with water (reminds us of Baptism) and a rose candle (Jesus is often referred to as "The Rose")



 
Pussy willow branches symbolize the promise of new life we have in the Resurrection of Jesus which we will celebrate at the end of Lent at Easter.

A trio of candles to represent Father, Son & Holy Ghost are filled with purple (the colour of Lent) beads and grass leaves.

The candlelight reminds us that Jesus came to be "a light to the world"

Another look at the items altogether...

 And some evening views...

A black tablecloth is used to depict the somber tone of Lent. Purple is the colour of Lent and napkins in this shade are placed under the centerpiece.

I hope and pray that these Lenten tablescape "symbols" might provide a "refresher" on some of the events we reflect on during this season. 
May the Lord bless you and keep you in His care during this season of self-examination and repentance.


I'll be linking this post to these terrific blog parties this week.
Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life 
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style 
Centerpiece Wednesday at The Style Sisters
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch.  
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home  
Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper
Let's Dish at Cuisine Kathleen
Sunday Showcase at Under the Table & Dreaming

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this; I've wanted to do a Lenten tablescape, but didn't know where to begin! You've given me so great ideas!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Your table is full of wonder and a very deep meaning. Thank you for the reminder of the real reason for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only is this table beautiful, but also it is very meaningful. Loevly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I got to see this, what a wonderful and meaningful table. I love the way you laid the wheat across the table and all the symbols and speical touches. Thanks for a very inspirational table!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I got to see this, what a wonderful and meaningful table. I love the way you laid the wheat across the table and all the symbols and speical touches. Thanks for a very inspirational table!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. My maiden name was Lent, so this is a special season on many levels. Congratulations on making such a gorgeous presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You pulled this off with so much class and dignity. It's a gorgeous table, I am loving every element on it. What a wonderful reminder of all that was sacrificed for us so that we may have eternal life. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".