Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Canada Day Tablescape for Backyard BBQ



Our Canada Day plans had included burgers in the backyard with my parents but that was put on hold due to inclement weather.  However, I thought I'd show you the tablescape I came up with to celebrate this special day.

I took these pics earlier in the week when there was a tiny bit of sun but Canada Day saw only clouds and rain.


I decorated the table in our backyard deck area in what we like to call the cabana. Flags and red/white gingham played a major role in this tablescape.


Inspiration began when I got 4 of these mugs at our local Dollar Store.  I tucked a red gingham napkin and a flag inside each one.

These coordinating gingham melamine plates that I got at HomeSense last year were set atop a white dinner plate. 

The layering of the place settings continued with a barnwood-look charger and a round woven placemat on a white damask tablecloth.


I tied red-handled flatware together with gingham ribbon and tucked a little flag pick inside. 

The centerpiece was created with three lanterns set in a row down the middle of the table.

A red berry garland (post Christmas sales),  faux white flowers and some red coloured grapevine balls were arranged around the lanterns.

Each lantern was set on a square red plate for added height and presence on the table.

String lights were woven throughout the garland and the battery pack was hidden beneath the edge of the plate and under some of the berries.

Canada's iconic symbol of the moose is represented in the centerpiece too.

I placed a white moose (local gift store a few years ago) on each side of the middle lantern.

A red/white checked table runner coordinates with the napkins and also the chair backs.

I placed white pillowcases over my striped chair cushions so they would coordinate better with the table.  Additional cloth napkins were pinned to the pillowcase on top of each chair.


 I tied up the edges of the tablecloth with red curling ribbon for an extra embellishment (and because it was too long :)

The view of our cabana...


...under gray skies and unfortunately it is too cold and rainy for it to be enjoyable sitting out here today.

We are hoping the weather is better this weekend and we can have a belated celebration of Canada Day in our backyard.

But no matter when we celebrate, I'm always thankful to be able to call this wonderful nation home and so appreciative of my fellow Canadians who make this country a wonderful place to live!

Thanks for visiting!

12 comments:

  1. what a fun dining area and tablescape. such a great idea to put pillowcases over the chairs to coordinate the linens. Hope you have better weather this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comment Debra! Yes, I'm hoping the weather improves or I'll be hauling this whole tablescape back indoors. Have a terrific July 4th weekend!

      Delete
  2. Adorable backyard setting Lori. Love me some red! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cindy for your kind compliment and for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This is so fun and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber for your kind words! Appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  4. That looks really great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Lori, especially the cute lanterns, and the checked table runners. What a lovely, festive and patriotic tablescape. I've pinned all three of the Canada Day posts you shared this week. Thank you so much for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your sweet compliments April. Thank you for stopping by and for hosting Hearth and Soul Link Party.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful table you have set and I love your cabana too. We enjoyed a very quiet Canada Day this year. Last year we celebrated with 40 people in our yard. What a difference a year makes. I agree, we are so fortunate to live in this amazing country with so many wonderful Canadians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the difference in our celebrations this year compared to years previous. As you said though, no matter what, we appreciate our wonderful country! Thanks for your sweet comment and for stopping by!

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".