Pages

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Celebrate Summer Tablescape

I know a lot of you in blogland have been thinking fall but I'm just not there yet. There is still lots of summer left to enjoy and in fact, I want to celebrate it before it's gone. With that in mind, I put together this tablescape that would be perfect for a little summer celebration involving some bubbly and a few appetizers.




Summer is the ideal time to invite friends over for a drink and some snacks. 

Setting a pretty table for simple or even store-bought snacks can make any get-together seem more special.

You don't need to get as elaborate as this set-up but here's a look at some ideas on how to start.

Begin with some sort of tray or shallow basket.  I've used a round metal tray to group some key items and then build around it.

Inside the tray, some shell-shaped appetizer plates fit my summer-time theme perfectly but you can use any dishes that are suitable for the type of food you are serving.

Arrange the appropriate stemware for the beverages you will be putting out for your guests. Below, you see I've chosen some champagne flutes.

Those of you who follow my blog know that it has been a time of celebrations around here with Mr D's retirement (here) and our daughter's engagement (here).

Some of our wonderful relatives whose family own a winery gifted us with this fabulous Gray Monk Odyssey and how perfect it is to use to celebrate a summer day.

Finding a unique way to dispense any required cutlery/flatware makes the display even more interesting.

Here, I've placed appetizer forks in a glass vase filled with sand and a white shell.

Cloth napkins in coordinating colours can be displayed in various ways on your table. 

I like to line a tray with one and add some under decorative elements on the table.

Try to limit your colour palette to just a couple of colours for a more cohesive look.

If you go with the basics - the dishes, stemware, flatware and napkins arranged nicely in/around a tray, you will have a pretty table display for your gathering.  

However, I like to go a bit further (of course) and add decorative elements that fill up the spaces on the table.

A backdrop is created by adding height in the way of this floral arrangement.

Tall candleholders provide  the next height layer to the backdrop.

These decorative shell items were placed on each side of the table as part of the backdrop.



The key to getting a pleasing look, is to vary the heights of all the items in a gradual way.
Then fill in any spaces with decorative shells, birds, stars and greenery to create a summertime vibe.

This table was set up on our sundeck which is just off our kitchen.  In hot weather, I often like to set the food on our kitchen island and have guests step inside and help themselves.

They can grab a plate off the pretty table on their way in to get the snacks. 

Then it's back outside to enjoy all that summer has to offer!

Are you still celebrating summer or are you ready for fall?

Either way, there's still time to fit in a few more summertime get-togethers before the season ends.

Thanks for visiting!
I'll be linking this post to these wonderful blog parties:
Saturday Sparks on Pieced Pastimes
Sundays at Home at Love of Home
Silver Pennies Sunday at Silver Pennies
Dishing It & Digging It at Rustic & Refined
Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Show & Share at Coastal Charm
Celebrate Your Story at Celebrate & Decorate
Brag About It Tuesday at My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies
Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life
Tuesday at Our Home at Our Home Away From Home
Tutorials & Tips at Home Stories A to Z
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Sizzle into Summer at DIY by Design
Share Your Style at Essence of Home
Share Your Cup at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson
Home & Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Home Matters at Life with Lorelai
Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Plan to do an "Savor Summer" tablescape also!

    Debby
    Debbygoesshabby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done- great ideas! I am with you about savoring summer. I've never understood the rush to jump into fall decorating but it's probably because fall leads to winter to I'm in no rush to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. Even though fall is my favorite time of year, I'm not ready to start that decorating yet or give up the summer fun. Beautiful tablescape. Love the forks in the vase with sand - You are clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tablescape:-)))
    Love it all:-))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you! Nowhere near ready to start in with fall!!! While I do enjoy the cooler temps and warm, rich colors of fall, summer is still very much alive here in the Midwest, USA!!! I really like what you did with the flatware display...really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative Lori. Great display for a summer party. I'm still celebrating summer here in Kentucky although the temps have been just a tad cooler but still plenty of warm weather. Love your touches to the table plus your shells plates. Blue and white just look so crisp together. I haven't been blogging much, we have had another remodel project going on. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore Autumn, it is my favorite time of year, but it is already three months long Sept-Oct-Nov, and that is plenty of time for pumpkins. I don't like this need to rush the seasons, lets enjoy each one in its time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blue shade of the table napkins is so pretty. Are they available from a well known (Canadian) store?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, Your table is delightful. I'd love to be a guest at your table. Love the chevron blue and white napkins. Thanks for tips on arranging an attractive table.
    I agree I'd like to enjoy the summer longer. I'm not pushing fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your summer-scape. Very pretty with the blues, shell plates. Very nice and very lucky that you can be outside in the summer! Too hot and humid here. I'm looking forward to fall so that I can be outside!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just lovely Lori! Anyone would feel like the guest of honor at your house! I'm not ready for fall yet either, there is over a month of summer left!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a creative and festive set up for casual summer dining buffet style. Your shell vase with the appetizer fork is genius! We have a lot of (hot) summer weather still ahead of us and our leaves don't start to turn until November. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if fall arrived a little early this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The softness of the blue is just perfect for a serene coastal scene!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your summer tablescape,so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! I'm not ready to give up summer yet either. time flies by way to quickly as it is. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fabulous summer buffet table!!! I love all details, especially the forks in the sand!!! I hope everyone isn't done with summer - I have a few more summer things I want to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous tablescape. I love the colors and all of the coastal touches.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty and lovely colors! I love how you displayed the flatware...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous tablescape, Lori! I love, love the idea of the forks in the glass vase. o pretty! xxx Maria

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an elegant a beautiful table! Love the sand in the jar holding the forks, so unique and perfect for your table.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fall can take its time getting here because I'm not ready either. This is a beautiful table filled with lots of beautiful details and inspiration. Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, and I hope your week is going great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So very pretty! I'd love to come celebrate summer at your house. :)

    You know, I'm always ready for fall to come. . . the summers here in North Carolina are so long and hot. But this year, I find myself thinking that fall will be here soon enough; I don't want to rush through my days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning table! I am still digging in the dirt, so I am still hashtag go summer. But....yesterday it was so hot, I ran to the craft store and made my first wreath for Fall. It is hanging up yet, but I am trying to find a happy medium between the two. Your table is just beautiful, now you have me thinking of doing another table. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So pretty and elegant, love it and the colors! I saw your post linked at the BRAG ABOUT IT LINK PARTY #33-17! Saved it on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your table setting looks very festive - love the colors!!!

    I hope we see you at the current Reader Tip Tuesday Party: http://www.jodiefitz.com/2017/08/22/reader-tip-tuesday-party-crafts-recipes/
    It's open all week & growing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".