Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Happy Birthday Mr. Delight!

Mr. Delight had a birthday last month and to celebrate, rather than going out to a noisy restaurant, I made him his favourite meal and set up a romantic table for two by our fireplace.

I wanted to use this new light teal tablecloth our daughter gave me for my birthday and so used that as my starting point.  It is too long for a round table but I tied it with a ribbon on each side. Fortunately, we have two wingback chairs the same colour so I could coordinate things. 
I used two pewter candlesticks that hubby gave me years ago and added acrylic "crystal" napkin rings to give them some sparkle.
 The hydrangeas are a faux arrangement I created.
 I kept things fairly simple with my Pier 1 "Maria" plates and floral bowls also from Pier 1.
 A bottle of wine is chilled and the fire lit...
Seafood lasagna, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower along with a tossed salad and garlic toast are served.
 Mr. Delight is delighted whenever I make Seafood Lasagna!
And for dessert...a frozen chocolate cream pie (made by my Mom) for the birthday boy!
 He loves ice cream and this is like super-delish ice cream!
We had a lovely time in our own private "restaurant" and I'm so glad he chose to celebrate his birthday at home.  

We find ourselves doing this more and more as you can never get quite the same ambiance in a restaurant with many other people nearby (and lack-luster tablescapes!) as you can create in your own home.

 Do you agree?
 Pop on over to Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday and check out others who love to entertain at home!

18 comments:

  1. What a very special birthday celebration you created for your husband! The seafood lasagna looks so yummy..I would love to have the recipe!
    I so agree with you....sometimes restaurant dining is not so appealing with the noise and sometimes the service is so poor. I think you created a beautiful night...I am sure your husband loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special birthday dinner! And the food looks delicious. I'm sure he loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful...both the dessert and your tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful and romantic. Everything looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much more special than a restaurant....a beautiful tablescape. Thank you for sharing your lovely design. CHerry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my! 1st let me tell you when my birthday is....~LOL~everything is beautiful & makes me hungry but I don't think I should do seafood at 6am ~lol~
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is so wonderful to have found you, I love your blog and have now become your latest follower!
    This is one of the prettiest table I have have seen which makes me wonder why we even bother with a restaurant! Also, I would really like a bite of that Seafood Lasagna! Can you post the recipe?
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Table for 2 please! I'd love to dine at your place. The ambiance is wonderful, the table looks so pretty and the food is a Dining Delight! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tables are always lovely. Thank you for sharing. I also agree that posting the Seafood Lasagne recipe would be great.

    I would love to be a follower, but have no desire to sign up for Google Friend Connect. Do you have any easier way for me to get email alerts when you post something new?

    Thank you.

    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi lovely lady.
    I love your Tablescape for Two just Beautiful sweet lady. This is wonderful and the food looks so Good. Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my new Tablescape. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I agree. Restaurants simply don't have the ambiance, we rarely eat out now. We can't stand the cheap plates and cutlery. Your table is one I would be absolutely delighted to sit down at.
    AT

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are absolutely right! there is no way a restaurant can hold a candle to the ambience of home. Just as long as I don't have to do the dishes! LOL! That's why I had Mother's Day at home.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your cozy table for two!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who wouldn't enjoy it with a set up like that? Your table looks so romantic and elegant. I am sure the birthday boy was delighted. Food looks so delish too. Belated Happy Birthday to Mr. Delight!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousJune 10, 2011

    What a beautiful table and quite cozy. Your menu was fabulous, too. So nice that you could spend a romantic evening together at home.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky guy! The table is beautiful, but i am sure the food impressed him more. I love your napkin rings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seems the real beauty of birthday celebration. i hope this can be great and aspiring to celebrate such a wonderful party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mr Delight is a pretty lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".