Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fall Dinner Party for Eight

As mentioned, in my previous post, this past Sunday we decided to host an impromptu dinner party for eight.  We were able to round up three other couples on short notice and set to work cooking!  Fortunately, I had already been "designing" a tablescape earlier in the week and it was pretty much ready to go!

This is how the idea for my tablescape started.  I ran across two of these glass/metal votive candleholders on clearance ($4.00 each) at a local Fields Store.   I thought they had possibilities.
Using items I already had, I rounded up some fall leaf garland and a swag as well as some very large faux acorns and a few glitter pumpkins.

 I tucked and wove the garland and swag around the metal of the candle holders and laid the pumpkins and acorns in the 'bare" spaces.  Added 10 Partylite votives and  lit them up. Voila! - an easy, inexpensive but striking centerpiece for a fall table.


 My other recent purchase was eight of these leaf shaped bowls from Walmart.

These bowls were set atop gold rimmed white salad plates and orange dinner plates layered on brown wicker-look chargers. 
(all items I've had for a long time)
  Placecard holders are new from a home party by Everyday Style.
The complete place setting with a mini faux pumpkin in leaf bowl.
The finished tablescape just before guests arrived.
We must have been organized to be able to have time to take pictures before the guests arrived! Usually, I'm scrambling to finish the food and get myself cleaned up!

I love these "giant" acorns I got at Pharmasave Drug Store last year.

We really enjoyed the evening, sharing food and lots of laughs with good friends by the glow of candlelight.

For some reason, it feels kind of "extravagant" to burn so many votives at once!

As per usual, I never got time to take any pictures of the food I served but here's the menu.
French Onion Soup served in Pumpkin Tureens(not shown)
Seafood Lasagne, Cesar Salad, Grilled Asparagus and Garlic Toast served on the orange plates

Thanks for stopping by but don't linger, there are lots more tablescapes to enjoy at Between Naps on the Porch!




25 comments:

  1. Stunning. Your guests must have felt very, very special to be dinning at such a beautiful table. The menu sounds wonderful. I often wonder, how one could have the space to store such wonderful sets of dishes and decorations. Truly a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how pretty! I love the way you used the candles and the fall swags for your centerpiece. Adding the pumpkins and acorns really made it pop. Love your place setting with the bowl on top. The colors of your tablescape are just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely party! If I were a guest at your house...I would have felt so special and pampered!! You are so talented at designing tablescapes....such a feast for the eyes!
    Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my friend...

    Ohhh...I always love coming to your place!!! You do up the prettiest tables...they should be in a magazine or a tablescaping book! This autumn table is spectacular! I just adore the long line of votives down the center of the table...and you're right...they DO feel extravagant...I love it!!! I love how you wove the fall foliage around those awesome candleholders...and the pretty pumpkins and acorns! Love all the beautiful fall colors that you paired together in your linens and place settings! Simply gorgeous, my friend!!! I bet your guests were "wowed off of their feet"! hehe! Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous table with us...I always walk away from your fabulous tables sooo inspired!!!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful table, I love all of the candles! It just looks so special:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the table! I see the leaf bowls everytime I go into Walmart, now I'm thinking humm why didn't I get any lol would be great for soup , salad ohhh now you've got me wanting to go to walmart LOL
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your table is using the reds and oranges so well. And your menu sounds delicious. I think the candles are ok to splurge on for your guests! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table is so beautiful. Love the acorns. Every detail is perfect.
    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so pretty! I just love your centerpieces. The colors are so warm and rich.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you knocked this out of the park completely. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is nice to see items that are available to me. Fields, Pharmasave. Lol. Yay Canada.
    I get so frustrated seeing the beautiful items that our US counterparts pick up for a dollar in stores that we don't have.
    I probably would have overlooked the votive holders not thinking about how to make them look so spectacular. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply gorgeous! I love the warm colors of the linens you've used -- they add such richness to the table. Spectacular centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen those candle holders too and never thought to get 2 and have them all the way down the table......DUH:):) I love the leaf bowls and Yvonne's bread pudding was probabl;y WONDERFUL, as are all her recipes!!!! Your guests must have felt SO special. I bet there were alot of OOO's and AHHH's!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  14. I rarely get pics of the food either. Oh well. This is a lovely tablescape. You did a great job on the centerpiece...those large acorns are really treasures. Good eye for design. Thank you for sharing your charming dinner party design with us. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  15. That center peice turned out to be gorgeous! Goodness. I just love it. It oozes Fall.

    Cheryl@My own Snug Fireside

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really beautiful! A warm autumn glow! The menu sounds wonderful!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lush table...the colors are gorgeous. If this is "last minute", I can't imagine if you made an effort (ha ha!!). Dinner sounds delcious and the table...just perfect!

    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  18. DD, this looks fabulous! I love the candle holder and garland going down the middle! Your friends must be so thrilled when you invite them, you always do such a wonderful job!
    All the layering is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...warm and inviting. I really like the candle holders.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so beautiful and im promptu? Wow, I am so impressed! Your centerpiece is perfect and so inviting. The colors just glow!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. I posted my centerpiece Wed and highlighted your last weeks centerpiece idea. Come take a look.

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your centerpiece! Such wonderful layers & colors~ love those little leaf bowls! Hope you & your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi DD. Yes, it's me OA. You found my new site. Thank you for dropping by. I am working on getting it together. I learn a little something each day.

    Love the way you blended all the colors. As usual, you did a superb job. Looks very Thanksgiving-y to me, although I guess you've had your celebration already.

    I'll be back often. OA

    ReplyDelete
  24. What ease you have at setting a warm and welcoming table.

    http://mr.goodwillhunting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your tablescape! I know I'm posting years later, but I wondered if Walmart still had those leaf bowls, but they don't. I could only find them at Pier One for 10 bucks a piece. We don't have a Fields here in Southern USA...so any idea of other places that would have those? Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".