Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Engaged!



Back in March, we got some exciting news and were thrilled to learn that our son had proposed to his girlfriend of 4 years. 

Of course, a celebration was in order!
 
 The happy couple wanted to host their own engagement party in our backyard when they returned home for vacation this summer.  They did give me one job...the décor! They didn't have to ask twice!

The party was to be outdoors but I started working on a "sample" table in our dining room so I could get some ideas before the actual event.
The guidelines towards a theme included the colours they had chosen, Hunter green and Kelly green along with their love of nature.
 
 
This inspired me to go with more of a woodland-natural themed tablescape.
 
 
I incorporated wooden initials and birch log pieces along with pine cones and bits of greenery. 
 

 
 Green Mason type jars were used as vases for a "natural" type bouquet. (faux for now until real event)
 
Smaller canning jars were also used as candleholders.  These were filled with green "water-gel beads" and a votive holder on top.
 
 
 
 
I kept the place settings simple since this was just a mock-up table.
 
Butterflies on the stemware helped add to the nature theme.
 
Side view...
 
The décor on the sideboard included the "Engaged" banner and the "M & L" initial banners I made.
 
 
 
I placed the  M & L initial banners atop baskets turned upside down and added a frog, burlap daisy and a candle.
Our son and his fiancé arrived home on vacation at the end of July and were very pleased with the ideas I had created here for the upcoming engagement party.
 
 Hope you will check back soon to see my post about the actual event held here last weekend.
Thanks for visiting!
I'll be linking this post to these fantastic blog parties:
Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage
Sizzle into Summer at DIY by Design
What's It Wednesdays at Ivy and Elephants
Creative Ways Link Party at Posed Perfection
Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Fabulously Creative Fridays at Jennifer Rizzo
Tablescape Thursdays at Between Naps on the Porch
Feathered Nest Fridays at French Country Cottage
Be Awesome Party at Echoes of Laughter
Show & Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Table It! (Mondays) at Rustic & Refined
Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Show & Share at Coastal Charm
Sunday Showcase at Under the Table & Dreaming
Tutorials & Tips at Home Stories A to Z
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
The Scoop at Stone Gable
Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style


9 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Congratulations!!! Your table is stunning, I am sure they loved it.

Alycia Nichols said...

First off...applause, applause for doing a trial run for such an important event! This way, you leave nothing to chance! Of course, you can always tweak once you do the real deal, but it is ALWAYS a good idea to stage a "dress rehearsal."

These colors and elements are going to transfer nicely to the all outdoors!

Congratulations to the couple! This is wonderful news, and I extend my best wishes to both families!

Kathleen said...

Congratulations! How wonderful! Beautiful table, all green and outdoorsy!

Helen's Decor said...

Beautiful decorations! Thanks for sharing.

Helen

Simply Suzannes at Home said...

Thanks so much for coming by and taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every one of them!
Congratulations on your son's engagement! M & L must have felt so incredibly loved and special when they walked into your dining room and saw all your hard work, love, and details. I hope that your evening was FULL of love and laughter.
Thanks so much for sharing with us!
Have a beautiful week,
Suzanne

the cape on the corner said...

so sweet! i love the woodland theme. you did a great job, and congrats to them.
b

Trisha said...

It's all so beautiful! I am sure the real event will be a huge success!!

~Trisha

Christine Graves said...

Very smart with doing a trial run...I do that too sometimes for holidays just so I know if I need to make changes before the hectic day...your table is wonderful I am loving the colors you used and the textures!

Congrats to the happy couple, and to you...you just gained a new daughter...lucky lady!

stevenjared0853 said...

Nice post! My fiancé and parents decided to book event halls in Philadelphia for our engagement party. Philadelphia is very new city for me and I am feeling little bit worried regarding this place and about whole party arrangements. If you have any experience with this place then freely share your experiences.