Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Canada Day Mantel Decor


Canada is celebrating its 150th birthday on July 1st and I've been busy adding some appropriately themed decor to our home in honour of the occasion.  Although Canadians can come across as a bit subdued in their patriotism, most of us are very proud to live in this wonderful country and will be celebrating this milestone birthday with full vigor.


I've started my Canada Day decorating by adding some red and white to our mantel and hearth.

I wanted the look to also reflect the summer season so I left up the boxwood wreaths that were part of my previous mantel decor. (here)

It gets a bit tricky as the greenery mixed with the red and white elements tends to give off a Christmas-y vibe. I went with it though and added some Canadiana in the form of these white moose.

I always like a bit of sparkle so I wove some battery-operated white mini-lights into the display.

These red lanterns were set atop birch log pieces.

A smaller lantern was placed at the opposite end of the mantel beside some faux florals in the coordinating colours.

And beside the lantern, a faux candle and holder were given some red and white touches as well.

Our beautiful Canadian flag is highlighted in a vintage picture frame with a couple others in a vase in front.



Of course, I decorated the hearth as well.

On one side, I placed a red pillow, a Canadian loon, and a framed print on top of a chest covered with a flag-printed kerchief.

You can create your own patriotic pillow using what you have. This pillow actually says "Noel" on the other side but I wrapped ribbon around it and tucked in some flags for a new look that fits my theme.

I typed this line from our national anthem in Word on my computer, printed, cut and framed - voila, easy Canada Day decor!

Just for fun, I swapped the loon for one of the moose.

Looks quite Canadian, eh? :)

On the other side of the hearth, a red vase is filled with faux florals with another loon and a faux candle beside it.

A hockey stick is pretty symbolic of Canada and I got this one at the Dollar Store.

Below the mantel, I taped little flags onto the existing curtain rod.


And that's just the start of my Canada Day decorating!

Hope you'll check back in for upcoming posts with more ideas on how to decorate for Canada Day.


Thanks for visiting!
I'll be linking this post to these wonderful blog parties:
Saturday Sparks on Pieced Pastimes
A Bouquet of Talent  at Life on Lakeshore Drive
Sundays at Home at Love of Home
Silver Pennies Sunday at Silver Pennies
Dishing It & Digging It at Rustic & Refined
Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Show & Share at Coastal Charm
Celebrate Your Story at Celebrate & Decorate
Brag About It Tuesday at My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies
The Scoop at Stone Gable
Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life
Tuesday at Our Home at Our Home Away From Home
Tutorials & Tips at Home Stories A to Z
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Sizzle into Summer at DIY by Design
Share Your Style at Essence of Home
Share Your Cup at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Home Matters at Life with Lorelai
Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Foodie Friday & Everything Else at Rattlebridge Farm
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

8 comments:

  1. Super cute mantle Lori. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with the celebratory mantel! It's very cheerful and festive. I bet it's going to be a great celebration through the country that day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic job. Great ideas. I am totally stuck for Canadian ideas.
    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks very Canadian and I love it. I really like the pair of Moose on the mantel.
    Barbara
    Fairmeadowplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so festive. I love it!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you pulled Canadian icons together to celebrate our 150th Birthday. I find myself putting things together too - its fun.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, Thanks for sharing your beautiful Canada Day decor with us at Brag About It and Happy Birthday to our awesome neighbors!! I also love the pillow idea - so clever!
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".