Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Giving Thanks Tablescape

Here in Canada, Thanksgiving 2016 is now a memory (Oct. 10th this year) and we had a lovely intimate celebration out of town at our daughter's place.  However, once home, I decided I wanted to create a Thanksgiving tablescape where I imagine that I get to spend Thanksgiving with ALL my immediate family members.




I am calling it my 
*Giving Thanks* Tablescape
 for indeed, not only at Thanksgiving but every day, we need to remember to give thanks to our gracious God for His many blessings.

The table is set in shades of blue and brown on a white background. I challenged myself to go with a nontraditional colour scheme.

I varied the dishes, napkins and placemats at every other place setting to add interest...and because I didn't have enough of each kind :)

These plates, a gift from my daughter years ago, were the inspiration for the non-traditional colour scheme. 

Though not part of a set, these small blue bowls went well with them.

Every other place setting had one of these plates...

...which were paired with these white bowls.

Mixing and matching your dish sets is a fun and economical way to set the table for many guests.

Small burlap bags (Dollar Store) were used as placecard and flatware holders.

They added a rustic touch and their dual purpose also saved room on the table.

I made the placecards on the computer using clipart.  I had thought to write directly on the burlap but knew I'd want to use the bags for something else later so just taped the paper on instead.

Individual tealights were set at each place setting.

The centerpiece began with a trio of these pedestal hurricanes I've had for quite awhile.

Inside each one, I placed a ceramic white pumpkin on a bed of raffia and a small bundle of wheat.



Two birch logs with pine cones sit on each side of the centerpiece trio.

This Giving Thanks table is set for 10 guests.

The backs of the dining room chairs got some embellishment as well.

I simply tied twine to the ends of two pine cones (gathered years ago) and added a bit of curling ribbon.  Then I covered the top tie-ups with blue ribbon.



Here's a look at the decor on the sideboard behind the table.  I'll show you more details of it another time.

I love dining by candlelight and the sparkle it provides especially for holiday meals.

Yes, I can imagine all my family gathered round this 
Giving Thanks Tablescape
and us having a wonderful time of festive fellowship, delicious food and true thanksgiving.

In the perfect world, everyone would have time off work, no other commitments and be able to travel easily and so that we could all get together for holiday celebrations. Unfortunately, it was only a dream this Thanksgiving but there's always next year!  

I want to take this opportunity to wish all my American readers a Happy Thanksgiving for their upcoming holiday in November. Enjoy the preparations whether they are for a few or many!

Thanks for visiting!
I'll be linking this post to these wonderful blog parties:
Saturday Sparks on Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time at Everyday Home
A Bouquet of Talent Saturday at Life on Lakeshore Drive
Sundays at Home at Love of Home
Silver Pennies Sunday at Silver Pennies
Dishing It & Digging It at Rustic & Refined
Celebrate Your Story at Celebrate & Decorate
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Show & Share at Coastal Charm
The Scoop at Stone Gable
Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life
Tuesday at Our Home at Our Home Away From Home
Tutorials & Tips at Home Stories A to Z
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Fall into Fall at DIY by Design
Creative Ways at Posed Perfection
Share Your Style at Essence of Home
Share Your Cup at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs Olson
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch
Thoughts of Home Thursday at Décor to Adore
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Home Matters Friday at Life with Lorelai
Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

16 comments:

  1. Just stunning Lori, love love the color palette and all your creative touches, the wheat wrapped pumpkins in the hurricanes, the pine cone chair backs, and all the organic elements and soft colors. And of course your side board is another fabulous vignette! I'm sorry you couldn't have your whole family together, but I know you enjoyed creating this dream of a tablescape!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful table and I really like the untraditional colors. Blue and brown is such a pretty combo. I would be delighted:) to sit at this beautiful table!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have outdone yourself! It just doesn't get any better than this. What a super gorgeous table! Love the color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful table with so many layers and details

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an outstanding table Lori. Such a gorgeous color combo with the blue and brown, love it! I adore the unexpected. The small pumpkins, rafia, and wheat are so cute in the votives. I'm so glad you set your own table to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful table! Love the cool aqua/blue tones mixed with brown. I really like the hurricanes and how you decorated them. The little bands of ribbon on the chairs are a perfect touch too! All my Thanksgiving tablescapes are done with the imagination of my family being here. I live too far away and can't get a group up here so I just go through the motions! I loved this table- lots of great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a stunning table. I love the soft blues and those birch log pieces are to just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning! I love it and I love everything about it. Love how you have the burlap bags holding the silverware and the names. What a great idea! Pinning! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous tablescape! Your color combination is a delightful change this morning. I do love the "traditional" Autumn colors, but it's nice to have the occasional visual break. Thanks for that—and for the reminder to be thankful always. Absolutely a must!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a lovely post! I love the blue and brown colorscheme. The little burlap bags holding silverware were so creative and I like how you displayed pumpkins and wheat inside the hurricanes instead of candles. The small votives scattered about are a nice touch. I agree candlelight makes the tablesetting more special! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything on your table. From the color scheme to the dishes. I think I would keep it up all year to enjoy the setting. It is just lovely. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful and I love your place cards...perfect!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Evening Lori, My goodness, what a feast for the eyes, your table setting is fabulous. I love all the attention to detail, from the little pine cones nestled on top of logs to the pine cones attached to the back of the chairs with wrapping ribbon... and when you lit the candles in the evening... absolutely, stunning.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  14. This tablescape is gorgeous! The colors play so well together and the blue plates are a very nice change of pace. Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. IT's a beautiful table! I love the combination of the blue and brown. I often mix my dishes and I love the eclectic look it gives to the table. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks wonderful! Your all set for turkey day! I love the little burlap sacks! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".