Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2016

50th Birthday & Farewell Dinner Party


It was with mixed emotions that I hosted a 50th Birthday dinner party for my sister this past week.  While it was a happy occasion, it was made a bit sad by the fact that she will be moving away soon. Thus, the gathering was also a farewell.

We didn't let that dampen our spirits though as she is happy about the move and we wanted to wish her all the best as well as celebrate the milestone birthday.


Of course, I wanted to share with you the tablescape and decorations I created in case you have any similar events coming up and need a bit of inspiration.

My tablescape design began by choosing a colour scheme of fuchsia pink and black.  Then I set about creating a personalized centerpiece.

Using paper in landscape mode on my computer, adding clipart with a pretty font for the words, I was able to make a print-out that fit the theme.  I then placed it in a cylinder vase.

I made it so that one side of the vase read Happy Birthday while the other side read A Fond Farewell.

I placed a tealight in the insert in the top of the vase so that as the evening wore on, the words glowed in the dim light.

I set the cylinder vases on mirrors and scattered some acrylic ice around them.

Pink gerbera daisies and white votives softened the look.



 I also gave the gerbera daisies a bit of a different appearance by placing one in the bottom and one in the top of a cylinder vase with glass insert.

 I really liked how a single flower is made more prominent with this type of display.

If you want to try this, just be sure to place the top insert inside the vase just before your dinner party as the bottom flower/water will cause condensation on the inside of the vase if you leave it for a long period of time.

There was a bit of a western theme added to the party as it relates to the place where the guest of honour is moving. 

I bought this pink cowboy hat at the Dollar Store and made the 50 is Fabulous sign to add to it. The pink bandana was from the DS as well as... 

...a fuchsia pink It's My Birthday necklace which I draped over her soup bowl until she sat down when we made her put it, the hat, and the kerchief on. 
She was a good sport about it all!

The dish stack

I placed these coordinating paper napkins under each wine glass.

My new dinner bell placecard holders were called into action again.



I also decorated the sideboard area for the occasion.

I had fun making this banner which I'll be able to use for other birthday parties as I can just remove or change up the 50th part.

In keeping with the farewell theme, I used these 2 small suitcases in the décor.

I made a luggage tag using clipart on my computer.

Here's what I served for dinner

With lots of laughs and a few tears, we were able to celebrate both the Fiftieth and the Farewell sending my sister off in style!

Thanks for visiting!
I'll be linking this post to these wonderful blog parties:
Saturday Sparks on Pieced Pastimes
Share it One More Time at Everyday Home
A Bouquet of Talent Saturday at Life on Lakeshore Drive
Sunday Showcase at An Alli Event
Silver Pennies Sunday at Silver Pennies
Dishing It & Digging It at Rustic & Refined
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Show & Share at Coastal Charm
The Scoop at Stone Gable
Inspire Me Tuesdays at A Stroll Thru Life
Tuesday at Our Home at Our Home Away From Home
Tutorials & Tips at Home Stories A to Z
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Swing Into Spring at DIY by Design
Share Your Style at Essence of Home
Share Your Cup at Art & Sand
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch
Thoughts of Home Thursday at Décor to Adore
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace
Five Star Frugal at A Tray of Bliss
Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Creative Ways at Posed Perfection
Foodie Friday & Everything Else at Rattlebridge Farm
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Weekend Retreat at AKA Design

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous tablesetting and theme. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful celebration for your sister! So much love and care in all the decorations and menu. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful table, Lori. Pink, black and white are such a nice "girly" combination for a birthday. Love the double decker way you have done the Gerberas.
    Sorry your sister is moving away from you...but you will have a new vacation spot!
    Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There you go again creating an absolutely beautiful table!

    You should do a tutorial on how to make the cute luggage tag. Those kinds of things are not that simple to some of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to celebrate your sister! The decorations look simple but lovely. Great job! Thanks for sharing at Dishing It & Digging It!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sister is a lucky birthday girl Lori, quite a celebration you threw for her! All your details, from the pink cowboy hat to the luggage on the side board and the candles with messages were so thoughtful and fun. Your menu sounds amazing too!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great celebration and the decorations were over the moon. Everything was perfect. Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful event with us.

    Happy Mothers Day.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! How beautiful is this party! Love the pink. Visiting from Jemma's blog party today. So glad I did! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful table for this celebration! Such amazing and whimsical details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very clever party decorations. I pinned for future inspiration. You are very good with clip art and your banner looks very professional.
    Love how you created two vases in one with the gerber daises! Cute!
    I know your sister felt special with such a nice party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful birthday party and bon voyage party.

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the centerpiece on the table! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate your feedback on my posts. Your message will be published after moderation.

Please note: I will respond to any questions you have right here in "Comments".